Thursday, December 4, 2014

FALL READING (FOR ME AND MY FOUR YEAR OLD)








The problem with working from home is that it's so easy to get consumed by work and do nothing else but work, work, work. Growing up, reading was a big part of my life -- my family is full of readers, and up until the last few years when I became busy with my blog and two babies, I read a lot. I spent the first two years of Benson's life reading a ton of classics (and of course some fluffy novels thrown in there), and I've missed it lately.

So about a month ago I decided I needed to do more than just work all the time, and I needed to make the time to do the things I love, one of which was reading. I currently read aloud short novels to my boys every night, but I also want to read on my own.

We've all started using Oyster, an awesome subscription based app, that's basically like Netflix for books. For $9.95 a month, you get access to unlimited ebooks on iOS, Android, Kindle Fire, Nook HD, and on the web, and with over half a million books to choose from, we've got plenty of reading material over here!

Oyster has both adult and kids books, so I can read in bed at night or while I'm waiting at gymnastics, or Benson can read while we're in the car (which is perfect for him since we would literally have to go to the library every other day to keep up with his crazy reading habits).

They're offering a 30 day free trial so you can try it out too -- just sign up right here!



Here are a few of the books I'm hoping to get through this Fall...



The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin 

7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey 

Still Alice by Lisa Genova 

The Glass Castle  by Jeannette Wells
  • I read this in a book club a few years ago and remember loving it, so I'm excited to read it again!
The Giver by Lois Lowry

Cheaper by the Dozen by Frank B. Gilbreth and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey 
  • My dad read this to us when I was little, and I think it's his all-time favorite book. I haven't read it since then, so it's time I picked it up again. 




And a few that I'm reading to the boys (or Benson is reading on his own):



The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling 
  • we finished this one recently and Benson loved it! 
Franklin's Halloween by Paulette Bourgeois 
  • I'm always on the lookout for shortish series that he can read on his own. I know nothing about the Franklin books, but there are a ton of them and they look cute! 
The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary
  • We also just finished this one and loved it! 
Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard Atwater 

My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett
  • This was our most recent read -- we just finished it a few days ago. Both my boys adored it (although Foster didn't follow the story, of course, but he loved all the animal pictures!). 
Ginger Pye by Eleanor Estes  



Any other good books we should be reading?? I'd love any recommendations!


No comments:

Post a Comment